The International Bunker Industry Association (IBIA) is the voice of the global bunker industry and represents all stakeholders across the industry value chain. Our membership includes ship owners/operators, bunker suppliers, traders, brokers, barging companies, storage companies, surveyors, port authorities, credit reporting companies, lawyers, P&I clubs, equipment manufacturers, shipping journalists and marine consultants. Formed in 1992, today we have members in more than 70 countries.
IBIA promotes improved standards, knowledge and understanding in the industry. We do this through a variety of events and courses, engaging in working groups, by disseminating reliable and accurate information and offering practical advice where we can. We also advocate for effective, pragmatic and workable regulations. One of the most important arenas for that is at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) where IBIA has consultative status as a non-governmental organisation. IBIA attends all meetings of the IMO’s Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC), the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) and a number of Sub-Committees.
Aims of the Association
- To provide an international forum for bunker industry issues
- To represent the industry in discussions and negotiations with national, regional and international policy makers, legislators and other groups and bodies
- To review, clarify, improve, develop and endorse where appropriate, industry methods, practices and documentation
- To increase the professional understanding and competence of all who work in the industry
- To provide services and facilities for members and others as the Board shall from time to time consider appropriate
Mission of the Association
- Promote the common good of the industry
- Promote industry, provide education, foster professional conduct and develop standards
- Educate, inform and represent The International Bunker Industry & Market place
- To raise standards to the benefit of all members