BA (Hons), Law
Barrister-at-Law, Gray’s Inn
Advocate & Solicitors, Singapore
Called to the Bar: 1982
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: (65) 6224 1381
Mobile: (65) 9759 3856
Upon graduating with a Bachelor of Arts’ Honours Degree in law and upon being called to the English Bar at Gray’s Inn, Danny returned to Singapore where he commenced practice with Messrs Godwin & Co, then the leading Shipping & Maritime law firm in Singapore before joining Messrs Khattar Wong & Partners in 1989 where he was a partner and Head of the Shipping Department. He joined Joseph Tan Jude Benny in September 1999 and now heads its Shipping & General Litigation. Danny was named by Chambers Global Directory 2000 and 2001 Editions as one of the “Leaders in their Field” of Shipping Law and was also listed in the Euromoney Legal Group Guide to the World’s Leading Shipping & Maritime Lawyers.
Practice Areas :
He specialises in Shipping & Admiralty law and the areas of work include dispute on bills of lading, charterparties, marine insurance and maritime frauds as well as collisions-at-sea, sinking, fire, salvage, explosions; and, bunker disputes and contamination of liquid cargo.
Notable Experience :
Cases that have become leading authorities are:
- Sheriff’s Expenses (The “Euroexpress”  SLR 67);
- Forum Non Conveniens (Oriental Insurance Co Ltd v. Bhavani Stores Pte Ltd  1 SLR 253);
- Scope of the wording of a letter of undertaking (The “ICL Raja Mahendra”  1 SLR 329);
- Exclusive Jurisdiction Clause (The “Jian He”  1 SLR 8);
- Effect of an “unless order” and its impact on subsequent orders in the same proceedings (The “Bonito”  3 SLR 32);
- Ship repairers’ Liability as Bailee (The “Wilson Ruby”  3 SLR 45);
- Limitation of Liability under a freight-forwarder’s Airway Bill in relation to the regime of the Amended Warsaw Convention (Powermatic-Apcom Systems Pte Ltd v. Concord Express (S) Pte Ltd  3 SLR 513).
He has also successfully conducted a trial on a dispute relating to the installation and design of a three dimensional metal ceiling system at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (Gema Metal Ceilings (Far East) Pte Ltd v Iwatani Techno Construction (M) SdnBhd  SGHC 37).He was previously appointed by BP Shipping Ltd to appear before a Committee of Inquiry investigating into the cause of a flash fire which occurred on board the vessel “British Adventure”.
Elected to the International Bunker Industry Association (Asia) Executive Committee