Overcoming the “Black Swan”
IBIA Asia has achieved remarkable training results in 2020 amidst the coronavirus pandemic.
IBIA Asia, a Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) approved bunkering training institute, has supported the local industry by training about 83% (583 out of 700) certified cargo officers and bunker surveyors through our one-day SS648: 2019: Singapore Standard Mass Flow Meter bridging course from TR48:2015 (Technical Reference) training.
All IBIA Asia course syllabuses are designed and taught by dedicated, experienced professional trainers who can relate training to real life operation. IBIA Asia ensured the continued delivery of courses during the Covid-19 circuit breaker period in April, May and June 2020, when physical classes had to be stopped, by doing live on-line training.
In the beginning of 2020, IBIA Global Board Chairman- Henrik Zederkof, set out three areas of focus for IBIA for the year. The first such area is the development of IBIA as an organisation to become more international by introducing and implementing a new board structure that will consist of five Regional Boards and a Global Board. Each of the Regional Boards will be empowered and work with a local mandate to act and manage on behalf of IBIA’s and the members’ interests in their region. IBIA Asia was the pioneer for the new set-up and it works very well. Regional Board members have also supported IBIA Asia training extensively by sending their staff for the training we provide.
IBIA Asia Regional Board members are:
• Ms Junko Mikano – BP Singapore Pte Ltd
• Capt. Rahul Choudhuri – Veritas Petroleum Services (Asia) Pte Ltd
• Mr Peter Beekhuis – Maersk Oil Trading Singapore Pte Ltd
• Mr Danny Chua – Joseph Tan Jude Benny LLP
• Mr Lim Teck Cheng – Hong Lam Marine Pte Ltd
• Mr Timothy Cosulich – Fratelli Cosulich Group of Companies (Chairman of the Regional IBIA Asia Board)
In 2020, IBIA Asia has scheduled four Regional Board meetings and has built a stronger relationship with the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) by highlighting local bunkering concerns and actively proposed solutions on issues. This model for engaging with port authorities will be adopted across the Asia Region in the coming year of 2021 and beyond.
IBIA Asia Regional Manager, Alex Tang represents IBIA for the support and development of national and international standards for bunkering and bunkering events as follows:
- Technical Committee member of LNG Bunkering for Singapore Chemical Industry Council in development of TR56.
- Pro Tem member of Blockchain of Bunkering supply/ deliveries for Singapore Chemical Industry Council.
- Working Group member of SS600:2014 Code of Practice for Bunkering for Singapore Chemical Industry Council.
- Working Group member of SS524:2014 Specification for Quality Management for Bunker Supply Chain (QMBS) for Singapore Chemical Industry Council.
- Member of the SIBCON (Singapore International Bunkering Conference) 2020 steering committee.
- Speaking in Mandarin for IBIA’s introduction to the China market at the China Petroleum Circulation Association (CPCA) Annual Marine Fuel Work Conference virtually on 26 November, 2020.
Through our engagement with all regional bunker industry stakeholders, we have confidence in the resilience of this industry in coping with unexpected situations. IBIA Asia will continue our commitment to service the local bunkering industry and contribute our utmost in the world’s largest bunkering hub – Singapore.
- Singapore Standard SS648:2019- 1 Day Bridging Training for approved Bunker Surveyors and Cargo Officers. 40 successful courses completed from February to November. During the circuit breaker in Singapore from April to June, classes were conducted on line, and exams were conducted physically after the easing of the circuit breaker in July.
- Singapore Standard SS 600:2014+ SS648:2019- 2 Days Advanced Training for new Bunker Surveyors and Cargo Officers. Three successful courses completed from March and October 2020.
In addition, the IBIA Asia office offers specialised training for the bunker sector in Singapore with an MPA- approved course called Understanding Marine Fuel. Two successful live on line-courses were taught by IBIA Asia Regional Manager, Alex Tang in October and November 2020. These courses have been approved by MPA on the Maritime Cluster Fund grant of up to 50%, for eligible trainees.
Alex Tang, CMarSci MIMarEST
Regional Manager: Asia
This article was first published in the final 2020 edition of World Bunkering, IBIA’s official magazine.